Support Group Credo
Just as each individual is unique, so is their experience with a mood disorder. Through the simple act of listening to each other’s stories, we support each other. By sharing our experiences, we help each other find a real sense of belonging, better understand how mood disorders impact our lives and find coping and treatment strategies. By focusing on the strengths and tools we have gained from our experiences, we promote hope and self-esteem.
In our groups we:
- Treat each other with kindness and compassion. Often times most of us feel vulnerable.
- Respect the opinions and experiences of others.
- Are generous to others in the sharing process.
- Do not judge. We try to put ourselves in the other person’s shoes.
- Work on our patience. Each of us tries to do the best we can at a given moment.
- Listen. We all want to feel heard.
- Speak only from our own experiences. As a result, we do not lecture or tell each other what to do or what is best for us.
- Understand that the recovery process is unique and personal for each individual.
- Keep confidences so that everyone feels safe to disclose personal information and innermost feelings.
- Maintain an environment that is strength-based, hopeful and empowering. Without hope we stop trying.